Himanshu Sharma, Shreya Singh, K. K. Jha, Treatment and recommendations for homeless patients with hypertension, hyperlipidemia & heart failure-a review, ASIO Journal of Experimental Pharmacology & Clinical Research (ASIO-JEPCR), 2020, 6(1): 24-32.
ARTICLE TYPE: REVIEW
DOI Link :: http://doi-ds.org/doilink/07.2020-72295186/
Cardiovascular disease comprises coronary artery diseases such as angina and myocardial infarction (also known as a heart attack). Other cardiovascular disease consists of stroke, heart failure, hypertensive heart disease, rheumatic heart disease, cardiomyopathy, heart arrhythmia, congenital heart disease, thromboembolic disease, and venous thrombosis. . It can also know their treatment and many of the cardiovascular disease risk factors like what they are and how they can be influenced positively to minimize cardiovascular diseases. The primary mechanisms vary depending on the disease. Actual goal of this review article is to survey the various methods to treat and recommends for homeless patients with hypertension, hyperlipidemia & heart failure. This article also explains the negative effect of behaviors such as smoking and drinking too much alcohol on cardiac and vascular health. This should have an appreciation of the ‘bigger picture’ and see how all these factors combine to influence our cardiovascular health that in itself will affect our relationships and our daily lives, at home and at work.
Keywords: Survey, case studies, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, homeless adult with hyperlipidemia.
- Becker G, Gates RJ, Newsom E. (2004). Self-care among chronically ill African Americans: Culture, health disparities, and health insurance status; Am J Public Health Dec. 2004; 94: 2066–2073. www.ajph.org/cgi/reprint/94/12/2066.pdf Accessed 12/27/09
- Brickner PW, McAdam J, Vicic WJ, Doherty P. Strategies for the delivery of medical care: Focus on tuberculosis and hypertension. In: Robertson MJ ed; Greenblatt M ed; Homelessness: A National Perspective; 165–174, 1992.
- Brickner PW, Kaufman K. Case findings of heart diseases in homeless men. Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine, 49(6): 475–484.
- Burt, M R., et al. Homelessness: Programs and the People They Serve – Findings of the National Survey of Homeless Assistance Providers and Clients. The Urban Institute, December 7, 1999. www.urban.org/url.cfm?ID=310291&renderforprint=1 Accessed 12/27/09
- Cadzow RB, Servoss TJ, Fox CH. (2007). The health status of patients of a student-run free medical clinic in inner-city Buffalo, NY. Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine, 11/21/2007. www.medscape.com/viewarticle/565787_print Accessed 12/27/09
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2008). QuickStats: Mean Serum Total Cholesterol Level Among Adults Aged >20 Years, by Sex — National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), United States, 1999–2000 to 2005–2006, February 2008. www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5706a7.htm Accessed 12/27/09
- CDC. (2008). Cigarette Smoking Among Adults—United States, 2007. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 2008;57(45):1221–6. www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5745a2.htm Accessed 12/27/09
- Child J, Bierer M, Eagle K. Unexpected factors predict control of hypertension in a hospital-based homeless clinic. Mt Sinai J Med, 65(4): 304–7, 1998.
- Ciambrone S & Edgington S. (2009). Medical Respite Services for Homeless People: Practical Planning. Nashville: Respite Care Providers Network, National Health Care for the Homeless Council, Inc. www.nhchc.org/Respite/FINALRespiteMonograph.pdf Accessed 12/27/09
- Ciaranello AL, Molitor F, Leamon M, Kuenneth C, Tancredi D, Diamant AL, Kravitz RL. (2006). Providing health care services to the formerly homeless: A quasi-experimental evaluation; Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 17(2):441–461, May 2006.
- Connor SE, Cook RL, Herbert M, Neal SM, Williams JT. Smoking cessation in a homeless population: There is a will, but is there a way? Journal of General Internal Medicine, 17(5): 369– 372, 2002.
- Dammann KW, Smith C. (2009). Factors affecting low-income women’s food choices and the perceived impact of dietary intake and socioeconomic status on their health and weight. J Nutr Educ Behav; 41(4):242–53.
- Dean L. (2007). Comparing Combination Drugs for Diabetes and Hyperlipidemia. National Center of Biotechnology Information. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bookshelf/br.fcgi?book=ebm&part=combin
- Deen D. (2004). Metabolic Syndrome: Time for Action. American Family Physician; June 15, 2004, www.aafp.org/afp/20040615/2875.html Accessed 12/29/09
- Dimsdale JE, Mills P, Patterson T, Ziegler M, Dillon E. (1994). Effects of chronic stress on beta-adrenergic receptors in the homeless. Psychosom Med, 56(4): 290–5. www.psychosomaticmedicine.org/cgi/reprint/56/4/290.pdf Accessed 12/27/09
- Fazel S, Khosla V, Doll H, Geddes J. (2008). The prevalence of mental disorders among the homeless in Western countries: Systematic review and metaregression analysis. PLoS Med 5(12)
- Friedewald VE, Kornman KS, Beck JD, Genco R, Goldfine A, Libby P, Offenbacher S, Ridker PM, Van Dyke TE, Robers WC. (2009). The American Journal of Cardiology and Journal of Periodontology Editors’ Consensus Report: Periodontitis and Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease. J Periodontol July 2009; 80(7): 1021–1032. www.joponline.org/doi/pdf/10.1902/jop.2009.097001 Accessed 12/27/09
- Garibaldi B, Conde-Martel A, O’Toole TP. (2005). Self-reported comorbidities, perceived needs, and sources for usual care for older and younger homeless adults, Journal of General Internal Medicine, 20(8), 726–730. www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1490194 Accessed 12/27/09
- Gelberg L, Linn LS, Mayer-Oakes SA. (1990). Differences in health status between older and younger homeless adults. Journal of the American Geriatric Society, 38(11): 1220–1229.
- Getz GS & Reardon CA. (2007). Nutrition and cardiovascular disease; Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology; 27; 2499–2506. http://atvb.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/27/12/2499 Accessed 12/27/09
- Goldstein G, Luther JF, Jacoby AM, Haas GL, Gordon AJ. (2008). A taxonomy of medical comorbidity for veterans who are homeless. J Health Care Poor Underserved; 19(3):991–1005.
- Grundy SM, Cleeman JI, Merz CNB, Brewer HB, Jr; Clark LT, Hunninghake DB; Pasternak RC, Smith SC, Stone NJ. (Jul 13, 2004). ATP III Update 2004: Implications of Recent Clinical Trials for the ATP III Guidelines. Circulation; 110(2): 227–239. www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/cholesterol/atp3upd04.pdf Accessed 12/31/09
- Janket S-J, Qvarnström M, Meurman JH, Baird AE, Nuutinen P,Jones JA. (2004). Asymptotic dental score and prevalent coronary heart cisease. Circulation; 109; 1095–1100. http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/109/9/1095
- ATP III Update 2004: www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/cholesterol/atp3upd04.pdf
- Guarino K, Rubin L, and Bassuk E. (2007). Trauma in the lives of homeless families. In: Carll EK.
- Trauma Psychology: Issues in Violence, Disaster, Health, and Illness, Volume 2, Health and Illness,Chapter 10: 231–257.
- Hahn JA, Kushel MB, Bangsberg DR, Riley E, Moss AR. (2006). Brief report: The aging of the homeless population: Fourteen-year trends in San Francisco, Journal of General Internal Medicine, 21, 775–778.w Health Care for the Homeless (HCH) Clinicians' Network. (2006). Which Is It: ADHD, Bipolar Disorder, or PTSD?
- HCH Clinicians’ Network. (2005). Heart of the matter: Managing and preventing cardiovasculardisease. Healing Hands, August 2005; 9(4): 1–6.
- HCH Clinicians’ Network. (2003). Filling the gaps in dental care. Healing Hands, 7(3): 1–6. www.nhchc.org/Network/HealingHands/2003/hh-0603.pdf Accessed 12/27/09
- HCH Clinicians’ Network Oral Health Task Force. (2009). Oral health recommendations & checklist for primary care providers. www.nhchc.org/checklist.pdf Accessed 12/27/09
- Heffron WA, Skipper BJ, Lambert L. (1997). Health and lifestyle issues as risk factors for homelessness. J Am Board Fam Pract, 10(1): 6–12.
- Hwang SW, Orav EJ, O’Connell JJ, Lebow JM, Brennan TA. (1997). Causes of death in homeless adults in Boston. Annals of Internal Medicine, 126(8): 625–628.
- Janket S-J, Qvarnström M, Meurman JH, Baird AE, Nuutinen P,Jones JA. (2004). Asymptotic dental score and prevalent coronary heart cisease. Circulation; 109; 1095–1100. http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/109/9/1095 Accessed 12/27/09