Arpit Gupta, Vivek Kumar, Md. Shakiv Malik, Various methodology used in clinical trials: an overview , ASIO Journal of Experimental Pharmacology & Clinical Research (ASIO-JEPCR), 2020, 6(1): 33-40.
ARTICLE TYPE: REVIEW
Affiliation: Department of Pharmacy, Shri Ram Murti Smarak College of Engineering and Technology, Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh, India.
DOI Link :: http://doi-ds.org/doilink/07.2020-24939728/
Clinical trials are also called as pharmacological trials because they are specially designed to establish the safety, therapeutic action, tolerability, and pharmacodynamic characterstics. There are various phases in which the clinical trials is carried out. A clinical trial is a method which involves the testing of a new medicine to evaluate whether it is safe and effective. From drug discovery through FDA approval, developing a new medicine takes at least 10 years on average and costs an average of $2.6 billion. Less than 12% of the candidate medicines that make it into Phase 1 clinical trials will be approved by the FDA.
Keywords - Clinical research methods, Clinical trial methods, Statistics in clinical research.
- Tripathi KD. Essentials of Medical Pharmacology. 6th ed. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.; 2009. p. 59-77
- Indian Council of Medical Research: Ethical Guidelines for Biomedical Research on Human Participants [online]. 2006 [cited 2007 Jul 21]. Available from: URL: http://www.icmr.nic.in/ethical.pdf
- Clinical trial wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Jan 28 2008. Available from: URL http://en.wikipedia.org/ wiki/clinical_trial. 28 Jan 2008
- Oates JA. The Science of Drug Therapy. In: Brunton LL, Lazo JS and Parker KL, editors. Goodman & Gilman's The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics 11th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill Companies Inc.; 2006. p. 117-36.
- Kulkarni S. K., Hand Book of Experimental Pharmacology, 3rd ed, Vallabh Prakashan New Delhi, 2004, 21.
- CenterWatch: Clinical Trials- Overview of Clinical Trials. [online] [cited 2010 Apr 28].
- Understanding Clinical Trials [online]. updated 2007 Sep 20 [cited 2010 Apr 27]. Available from: URL: http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/info/understand
- Vahle JL and Tashjian Jr AH. Clinical Drug Evaluation and Regulatory Approval. In: Golan DE, Tashjian Jr AH, Armstrong EJ and Armstrong AW, editors. Principles of Pharmacology- The Pathologic Basis of Drug Therapy 2nd ed. New Delhi: Wolter Kluwer (India) Pvt. Ltd.; 2008. p. 863-73.
- POEMs and EBM Glossary: American Academy of Family Physicians- News and Publications [online]. [cited 2007 Jul 21]. Available from: URL: http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/publications/journ als/afp/afppoems.html
- ICH Harmonised Tripartite Guideline for Good Clinical Practice ‘Academy For Clinical Excellenge’.
- Abate MA and Hildebrand III JR. Clinical Drug Literature. In: Beringer P, Der Marderosian A, Felton L, Gelone S, Gennaro AR, Gupta PK, Hoover JE, Popovick NG, Reilly WJ and Hendrickson R, editors. RemingtonThe Science and Practice of Pharmacy 21st ed. New Delhi: Wolters Kluwer (India) Pvt. Ltd.; 2009. p. 74-86.
- Grossi PM. Study Design and Validity. [online]. 2004 [cited 2007 Jul 21]. Available from: URL: http://dukehealth1.org/ surgery/documents /Clinical Studies. Pdf
- Pharmacist Career Profile: Clinical Research / Investigational Drug, Available From: URL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randomized_controlled_t rial.
- Bowalekar S. Biostatistics in Clinical Trials. In: Gupta SK, editor. Basic Principles of Clinical Research and Methodology. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers; 2007. p. 233- 52.
- Barar, F. S. K., Essential of Pharmacotherapeutics. 4 thed, S. Chand and Company Ltd; New Delhi, 2007, 57-59.
- Neutel JM and Smith DHG. Evaluation of angiotensin II receptor blockers for 24-hour blood pressure control: meta-analysis of a clinical database. J Clin Hypertens. 2003; 5(1): 58-63.
- Allen, L. V, Poporich, N. G, Ansel H. C., Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Drug Delivery System, 8th ed, B I Publications Pvt. Ltd.; New York, 2005, 45, 64-65
- Pais-Ribeiro JL. Quality of life is a primary end-point in clinical settings. Clinic Nutrit. 2004; 23(1): 121-30.
- Montgomery DC. Introduction to statistical quality control 4th ed. John Wiley and Sons Inc.: 2003. p. 98.
- Bolton S and Bon C. Pharmaceutical statistics: Practical and clinical applications 4th ed. New York: Marcel Dekker Inc.; 2004. p. 151-72.
- Satoskar, R. S., Bhandar, S. D., Ainapure, S. S., Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapeutic. 8th ed, Popular Prakashan, Mumbai, 2003, 64.
- Motulsky H. Choosing a test. In: Intuitive Biostatistics. New York: GraphPad Software, Oxford University Press: [online]. 1995 [cited 2007 Jul 21]. Available from: URL: http://www.graphpad.com/www/book/ Choose.htm
- Pharmacist Role in clinical trial Avaliable from: URL:http://www.nccs.com.sg/pbcation/tomorrow/mar 08/pharmacy.
- Purvi Gandhi, Clinical Research Methodology, Ind J Pharm Edu Res, Apr-Jun, 2011/ Vol 45/ Issue 2, 199-209. https://www.ijper.org/article/329.