Rupajit Bhattacharya, ASIO Journal of Experimental Pharmacology & Clinical Research (ASIO-JEPCR), 2018, 4(1), 01-06.
ARTICLE TYPE: REVIEW
DOI Link :: http://doi-ds.org/doilink/10.2016-37245516/,
DOI Link :: http://doi-ds.org/doilink/07.2018-73489979/
Dengue is an acute viral illness caused by RNA virus of the family Flavi-viridae and spread by Aedes mosquitoes. Presenting features may range from asymptomatic fever to dreaded complications such as hemorrhagic fever and shock. A cute-onset high fever, muscle and joint pain, myalgia, cutaneous rash, hemorrhagic episodes, and circulatory shock are the commonly seen symptoms. Oral manifestations are rare in dengue infection; however, some cases may have oral features as the only presenting manifestation. Early and accurate diagnosis is critical to reduce mortality. Although dengue virus infections are usually self-limiting, dengue infection has come up as a public health challenge in the tropical and subtropical nations. This article provides a detailed overview on dengue virus infections, varied clinical manifestations, diagnosis, differential diagnosis, and prevention and treatment.
Keywords: Pathology, Pathogenesis, Treatment and Management, Dengue.
- February "Dengue and severe dengue Fact sheet N°117". WHO. May 2015.
- Kularatne, SA. (15 September 2015). "Dengue fever.". BMJ (Clinical research ed.). 351: h4661. PMID 26374064.
- Normile D (2013). "Surprising new dengue virus throws a spanner in disease control efforts". Science. 342 (6157): 415. doi:10.1126/science.342.6157.415. PMID 24159024.
- Mustafa, MS; Rasotgi, V; Jain, S; Gupta, V (January 2015). "Discovery of fifth serotype of dengue virus (DENV-5): A new public health dilemma in dengue control.". Medical journal, Armed Forces India. 71 (1): 67–70.
- Maron, Dina (December 30, 2015). "First Dengue Fever Vaccine Gets Green Light in 3 Countries". Scientific American. Retrieved 3 February 2016.
- Ranjit S, Kissoon N (January 2011). "Dengue hemorrhagic fever and shock syndromes". Pediatr. Crit. Care Med.12 (1): 90–100. doi:10.1097/PCC.0b013e3181e911a7.
- Gubler DJ (July 1998). "Dengue and dengue hemorrhagic fever". Clin. Microbiol. Rev. 11 (3): 480–96. PMC 88892.
- Whitehorn J, Farrar J (2010). "Dengue". Br. Med. Bull. 95: 161–73. doi:10.1093/bmb/ldq019.
- Bhatt S, Gething PW, Brady OJ, et al. (April 2013). "The global distribution and burden of dengue". Nature. 496 (7446): 504–7. doi:10.1038/nature12060. PMC 3651993.
- Carabali, M; Hernandez, LM; Arauz, MJ; Villar, LA; Ridde, V (30 July 2015). "Why are people with dengue dying? A scoping review of determinants for dengue mortality.". BMC infectious diseases. 15: 301. doi:10.1186/s12879-015-1058-x.