Mrinal Kanti Sarkar, Surrogate Motherhood: Empowerment or Exploitation, ASIO Journal of Humanities, Management & Social Sciences Invention (ASIO-JHMSSI), 2015, 1(1):01-03.
ARTICLE TYPE: REVIEW
Dids Link : http://dids.info/didslink/12.2015-41367852/
Ten to fifteen percent of married couples are unable to have children. Surrogate mothers are not a new solution to the old problem of not being able to reproduce an offspring. Surrogacy has been around a long time and dates back to biblical times. An interesting bible scenario is Sarah, the wife of Abraham. Sarah could not have children in the beginning. She gave her handmaid, Hagar, to her husband Abraham to produce them a child. The method used was copulation. The outcome in this arrangement did not prove to be a productive one and ended in disaster. In this scenario the spouse became jealous, the surrogate became proud and refused to give up the identity of the child and consequently the spouse had both her and her child ousted.
Keywords: Surrogate mother, Empowerment, Exploitation, Woman carries.
- Allison B. Reconceiving Surrogacy: Toward a Reproductive Justice Account of Indian Surrogacy, HYPATIA, 2011, 26: 715-717.
- Surrogate Motherhood: Ethical and Legal Issues Sue A. Meinke Revised, January, 1988, 1-11.
- Walters LeRoy. Test-tube babies: ethical considerations, Clinics in Perinatology, 1987, 14(2): 271-280.
- Holder Angela R. Surrogate motherhood: babies for fun and profit. Law, Medicine, and Health Care, 1984, 12 (3): 115-117.
- Cohen B, Friend Teresa L. Legal and ethical implications of surrogate mother contracts. Clinics in Perinatology, 1987, 14(2): 281-292.
- Fleming AT. Our fascination with Baby M. New York Times Magazine, 1987, 87, pp. 33-38.
- Davis JH, Brown DW. Artificial insemination by donor (AID) and the use of surrogate mothers: social and psychological impact. Western Journal of Medicine, 1984, 141(1): 127-130.
- White Christopher. Surrogate Parenthood For Money Is A Form Of Human Trafficking. Forbes accessed from http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2014/04/04/surrogate-parenthood-for-money-is-a-form-of-human-trafficking/.