P. S. Bairy, A Comparative Study of HPLC and HPTLC: Principles, Instrumentations and Applications, ASIO Journal of Analytical Chemistry (ASIO-JAC), 2015, 1(1): 20-28.
ARTICLE TYPE: REVIEW
dids no.: 03.2016-28554435,
dids Link: http://dids.info/didslink/03.2016-91512171/
The analytical method should be sensitive, specific, fast and accurate to establish the assurance that the equipments used in manufacturing are free of the unwanted impurity, presence of which may alter the safety and efficacy of the drug product. HPLC, UPLC techniques have established their role in pharmaceutical cleaning validation. Among the modern Analytical tools HPTLC is a powerful analytical method equally suitable for qualitative and quantitative analytical tasks. HPTLC is playing an important role in today analytical world, not in competition to HPLC but as a complementary method. One of the most obvious orthogonal features of the two techniques is the primary use of reversed phases in HPLC versus unmodified silica gel in HPTLC, resulting in partition chromatography and adsorption chromatography respectively. High Performance Thin layer Chromatography (HPTLC) technique is a sophisticated and automated form of the thin-layer chromatography (TLC) with better and advanced separation efficiency and detection limits, and is often an excellent alternative to GC and HPLC. Applications of HPTLC include phytochemical and biomedical analysis, herbal drug quantification, active ingredient quantification, fingerprinting of formulations, and check for adulterants in the formulations. HPTLC is also useful in detecting chemicals of forensic concern.
- Koba, Marcin, Marsza, Micha, P., Sroka, (2013). Determination of lamotrigine in tablets using HPTLC, HPLC, and derivative spectrophotometry methods. J lq chr rel tech. 36(4):537-548.
- Priya Rani, M., Padmakumari, K.P., (2012). HPTLC and reverse phase HPLC methods for the simultaneous quantification and in vitro screening of antioxidant potential of isolated sesquiterpenoids from the rhizomes of Cyperus rotundus. J Chrom B. 904:22–28.
- Puranik, M., Bhawsar, D.V., Rathi, P., Yeole, P.G., (2010). Simultaneous Determination of Ofloxacin and Ornidazole in Solid Dosage Form by RP-HPLC and HPTLC Techniques. Ind J Pharm Sci.72:513-517.
- Naguib, I.A., Abdelkawy, M., (2010). Development and validation of stability indicating HPLC and HPTLC methods for determination of sulpiride and mebeverine hydrochloride in combination. Eur J Med Chem. 45(9): 3719–3725.
- Gallo, F.R., Multari, G., Giambenedetti, M., Federici, E., (2008). Chemical fingerprinting of Lawsonia inermis L. using HPLC, HPTLC and densitometry. Phytochem Anal. 19(6):550-559.
- Deshpande, M.M., Kasture, V.S., Gosavi, S.A., (2010). Application of HPLC and HPTLC for the simultaneous determination of cefixime trihydrate and ambroxol hydrochloride in pharmaceutical dosage form. Eurasian J Anal Chem. 5(3):227-238.
- Colleen, N.A., Salmon, Yvonne, A., Bailey-Shaw, (2012). Characterisation of cultivars of Jamaican ginger (Zingiber officinale Roscoe) by HPTLC and HPLC. Food Chemistry.131:1517–1522.
- Charde, M., Sheikh, I., Dhole, S., Kasture, A.V., (2010). RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneos Estimation of Benzhexol Hydrochloride and Trifluoperazine Hydrochloride in their combined Dosage Form. J Pharm Res. 3(7):1616.
- Ahmad, H., Mishra, A., Gupta, R., Saraf S., (2011). Determination of quercetin in michelia champaca l. (champa) leaves and stems bark by HPTLC. Int J pharm Bio Sci. 2(4):388-397.
- Alphonso, P., Saraf, A., (2012). Chemical profile studies on the secondary metabolites of medicinally important plant Zanthoxylum rhetsa (Roxb.) DC using HPTLC. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. S1293-S1298.
- Baumgartner, V., Hohl, C., Schwack, W., (2013). Screening for Antimicrobials in Mouthwashes using HPTLC-Bioluminescence Detection. Chromatographia, DOI: 10.1007/s10337-012-2375-5.
- Baumgartner, V., Schwack, W., (2010). Enhanced Quantitative Evaluation of the HPTLC-Bioluminescence Detection. J Lq Chrom & Related Tech. 33:980–995.
- Godse, V., Mane, S.R., Vyas, M., Bhosale, A.V., (2011). Development and Validation of HPTLC Method for Nabumetone from Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Ind J Pharm Edu Res. 45(4):301-304.
- Gomathi, D., Ravikumar, G., Kalaiselvi, M., Vidya, B., Uma, C., (2012). HPTLC fingerprinting analysis of Evolvulus alsinoides (L.) L. J Acute Medicine.2:77-82.
- Hariprasad, P., Ramakrishnan, N., (2012). Chromatographic finger print analysis of Rumex vesicarius L. by HPTLC technique. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. S57-S63.
- Hezel, U.B., (2011). Potential and experience in quantitative ?high performance thin-layer chromatography? HPTLC. In: Zlatkis, A., Kaiser, R.E. (Ed.). HPTLC - High performance thin-layer chromatography. Elsevier, Chapter 8, pp 147- 188.
- Morlock, G., Grashorn, S., Schuele, L., (2011). HPTLC-FLD-MALDI-TOF MS. J Chromatogr Anal.1218:2745– 275.
- Kakde,R.,Gadpayale, K., Qureshi, M.O., (2012). Stability Indicating HPTLC Method for Determination of Moxonidine in Pharmaceutical Preparations. Int J PharmTech Res. 4(1):358-363.
- Kalaiselvi, M., Gomathi, D., Uma, C., (2012). Occurrence of Bioactive compounds in Ananus comosus (L.): A quality Standardization by HPTLC. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. S1341-S1346.
- Kathirvel, S., Prasad, K.R., Babu, K.M., (2012). Development and validation of HPTLC method for the determination of mycophenolate mofetil in bulk and pharmaceutical formulation. Pharm Methods.3 (2):90-93.
- Khatal, L.D., Kamble, A.Y., Mahadik, M.V., Dhaneshwar, S.R., (2010). Validated HPTLC method for simultaneous quantitation of paracetamol, diclofenac potassium, and famotidine in tablet formulation. J AOAC Int. 93:765-770.
- Mane, M.B., Jaiprakash, N., Sangshetti, Parmeshwar, J., Pravin, S., (2010). Determination of Exemestane in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form by HPTLC. Arab J Chem.2:1016-1024.
- Marcin, K., Michal, M., Wiktor, S., Martyna, T., Adam, B., (2012). Application of HPTLC and LC-MS Methods for Determination of Topiramate in Pharmaceutical Formulations. Curr Pharma Anal. 8(1):44-48.
- Musmade, P., Vadera, N., Subramanian, G., (2011). Stability-indicating HPTLC determination of Imatinib mesylate in bulk drug and pharmaceutical dosage. In: Srivastava MM(ed.) High Performance Thin layer Chromatography (HPTLC) Springer- Verlag Berlin Heildelberg, Chapter 6, pp 93- 104.
- Mustafa, G., Ahuja, A., Baboota, S., Ali, J., (2013). Box-Behnken supported validation of stability-indicating high performance thin-layer chromatography (HPTLC) method: An application in degradation kinetic profiling of ropinirole. Saudi Pharmaceutical J. 21(1):93–102.
- Nanda, R. K., Potawale, S. E., Bhagwat, V. V., Deshmukh, R. S., Deshpande, P.B., (2010). Development and validation of a HPTLC method for simultaneous Densitometric analysis of Ranitidine hydrochloride and Dicyclomine hydrochloride as the bulk drugs and in the tablet dosage form. J Pharm Res. 3(8):1997.
- Parikh, S.K., Dave, J.B., Patel, C.N., Ramalingan, B., (2011). Stability-indicating HPTLC method for analysis of itraconazole in bulk drug and in pharmaceutical dosage form. Pharm Methods. 2(2):88-94.
- Shewiyo, D.H., Kaale, E., Ugullum, C., Sigonda, M.N., Risha, P.G., Dejaegher, B., (2011). Development and validation of a normal-phase HPTLC method for the simultaneous analysis of lamivudine, stavudine and nevirapine in fixed-dose combination tablets. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 54:445-450.
- Raja, T., Rao, A.L., (2012). Validated HPTLC method for simultaneous quantitation of paracetamol and lornoxicam in bulk drug and pharmaceutical formulation. Int J Pharm Biomed Res.3 (3):162-166.
- Rajmane, V.S., Gandhi, S.V., Patil, U.P., Sengar, M.R., (2010). High-performance thin-layer chromatographic determination of etoricoxib and thiocolchicoside in combined tablet dosage form. J AOAC Int. 93:783-786.
- Ranjane, P.N., Gandhi, S.V., Kadukar, S.S., Bothara, K.G., (2010). HPTLC determination of cefuroxime axetil and ornidazole in combined tablet dosage form. J Chromatogr Sci. 48(1): 26-28.
- Saboo, S., Tapadiya, G., Khadabadi, S., (2012). Morpho-anatomy, physicochemical and phytochemical standardization with HPTLC fingerprinting of aerial parts of Rivea hypocrateriformis. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. S689-S694.
- Sahoo, M., Syal, P., Hable, A.A., Raut, R.P., Choudhari, V.P., Kuchekar, B.S.,(2011). Development and validation of a HPTLC method for simultaneous estimation of lornoxicam and thiocolchicoside in combined dosage form. Pharm Methods. 2(3):178-183.
- Sampathkumar, S., Ramakrishanan, N., (2012). Chromatographic finger print analysis of Naringi crenulata by HPTLC technique. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. S195-S198.
- Sanganalmath, P.U., Purigali, M., Bannur, M.M., (2013). HPTLC method for the assay of thiopental in post-mortem blood in a fatal case of suicide. J Pharm and Biomedical Anal. 80:89– 93.