Romeo C. Ongpoy, Jr. MSc RPh CPS. Level of Preparedness of the Filipino Pharmacists as Providers of Immunizations for Adult Patients, ASIO Journal of Pharmaceutical & Herbal Medicines Research (ASIO-JPHMR), 2(1), 2016: 04-08.
ARTICLE TYPE: Research
dids/doi No.: 12.2015-77737978
dids link: http://dids.info/didslink/02.2016-86387645/
The objective of this study is to investigate the level of preparedness of the Filipino Pharmacists in providing immunizations to adult patients particularly in their knowledge, behavior and skill as well as their assessment of the community pharmacy as an environment for immunization. To do this, original validated questionnaires were given to 353 Filipino Pharmacists from the major practice fields in the country – community, hospital, academe and industrial where 113 responded. The questionnaires were then consolidated and treated statistically to measure the level of preparedness reported in this study. About this study, it was found out that the Filipino Pharmacists are moderately prepared as to knowledge (2.95 X bar from a scale of 5 and 0.96σ) and skill (3.11 X bar and 1.11σ) but very prepared behavior-wise (3.84 X bar and 1.04σ). On the other hand, the community pharmacy environment in the Philippines is perceived to be moderately suitable for immunization by the respondents. The results show that the Filipino Pharmacists are very prepared (3.56X bar) to provide immunization as part of their role. However, the Community Pharmacists who are the ones to immunize among the practice fields are only moderately prepared. The government needs to address the concerns of the Pharmacists in providing immunization like identifying and handling AE (2.81 X bar and 1.12σ), knowledge in the principles of IM administration (2.83X bar and 1.15σ) and handling parenteral (2.91X bar and 1.15σ) as well as the training fee to provide immunizations (3.23 X bar and 1.39σ) which is the major concern affecting behavior.
Keywords: Filipino, Immunization Providers, Pharmacists, Immunization, Vaccination
- Food and Drug Administration Philippines, FDA Advisory 2014-067: Food and Drug Administration and Philippine Pharmacists Association Mull Plan to Authorize Community Pharmacists to Administer Vaccines. 2014.
- Angelo, Lauren B. et al. APhA's Immunization Handbook, 3rd edition. (American Pharmacists Association, USA: 2015).
- Vashishtha, Vipin. Key Statements of IAPCOI and IAP Immunization Timetable for Year 2012. Pediatric Infectious Disease, 2012; 4(3): 112-124.
- Hasson, SSAA, Al-Busaidi, JKZ, Sallam, TA. The Past, Current and Future Trends in DNA Vaccine Immunizations. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, 2015; 5(5): 344-353.
- Kamal, Khalid, Madhavan, Suresh, Maine, Lucinda. Pharmacy and Immunization Services: Pharmacists’ Participation and Impact. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association, 2003; 43(4): 470-482.
- Van Amburgh, Jenny, Waite, Nancy, Hobson, Eric, Migden, Hedy. Improved Influenza Vaccination Rates in a Rural Population as a Result of a Pharmacist-Managed Immunization Campaign. Pharmacotherapy Publications Inc., 2012.
- Bouthavong, Mart et al. Measuring Patient Satisfaction in the Pharmacy Specialty Immunization Clinic: A Pharmacist-Run Immunization Clinic at the Veteran Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, March 2010.
- Nohynek, H. et al. National Advisory Groups and their Role in Immunization Policy-making Processes in European Countries. Clinical Microbiology and Infection. December, 2013; 9(12): 1096-1105.
- Nolan, Terry. The Australian Model of Immunization Advice and Vaccine Funding. Vaccine, 2010; 28S: A76-A83.
- Ismail, Shainoor, Langley, Joanne, Harris, Tara, Warshawsky, Bryna, Desai, Shalini, Farhang-Mehr, Mahnaz. Canada’s National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI): Evidence-Based Decision-Making on Vaccines and Immunization. Vaccine, 2010; 28S: A58-A63.
- Hall, Andrew. The United Kingdom Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunization. Vaccine, 2010; 28s: A54-A57.
- Cho, Hee-Yeon, Kim, Chang-Hoon, Go, UnYeung, Lee, Hoan-Jong. Immunization Decision-Making in the Republic of Korea: The Structure and Functioning of the Korea Advisory Committee on Immunizing Practices. Vaccine, 2010; 28S: A91-A95.
- Muangchana, Charung, Thamapornpilas, Piyanit, Karnkawinpong, Opart. Immunization Policy Development in Thailand: The Role of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practice. Vaccine, 2010. 28S: A104-A109.
- Jacob John, T. India’s National Technical Advisory Group on Immunization. Vaccine, 2010; 28S: A88-A90.
- Molina-Aguilera, Ida Berenice, Mendoza-Rodriguez, Lourdes Otilia, Palma-Rios, Maria Aparicia, Valenzuela-Castillo, Renato. An Overview of the National Consultative Council of Immunization in Honduras. Vaccine, 2010; 28S: A64-A67.
- Zheng, Jingshan, Zhou, Yuqing, Wang, Huaqing, Liang, Xiaofeng. The Role of the China Experts Advisory Committee on Immunization Program, Vaccine. 2010; 28S: A84-A87.
- Smith, Jean Clare. The Structure, Role, and Procedures of the U. S. Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). Vaccine, 2010; 28S: A68-A75.
- Duclos, Philippe, et al. Progress in the Establishment and Strengthening of National Immunization Technical Advisory Groups: Analysis from the 2013 WHO/UNICEF Joint Reporting Form, Data for 2012. Vaccine, 2013; 31: 5314-5320.
- Megiddo, Itamar, Colson, Abigail, Nandi, Arindam, Chatterjee, Susmita, Prinja, Shankar, Khera, Ajay, Laxminarayan, Ramanan. Analysis of the Universal Immunization Programme and Introduction of a Rotavirus Vaccine in India with IndiaSim. Vaccine, 2014; 32S: A151-A161.
- Vandelaer, Jos, Olaniran, Marianne. Using a School-Based Approach to Deliver Immunization - Global Update. Vaccine, 2015; 33: 719-725.
- Antai, Diddy. Gender Inquities, Relationship Power, and Childhood Immunization Uptake in Nigeria: A Population-Based Cross-Sectional Study. International Journal of Infectious Diseases, 2012; 12: e136-e145.
- Ropero-Alvarez, A.M, et al. Events Supposedly Attributable to Vaccination or Immunization During Pandemic Influenza A(H1N1) Vaccination Campaigns in Latin America and the Caribbean. Vaccine, 2015; 33: 187-192.
- Okoro, J.C, Ojinnaka, N.C, Ikefuna, A. N, Onyenwe, N.E. Sociodemographic Influences on Immunization of Children with Chronic Neurological Disorders in Enugu, Nigeria. Trials in Vaccinology, 2015; 4: 9-13.
- Udonwa, N. E, Gyuse, A. N, Etokidem, A.J, Ogaji, D.S.T. Client Views, Perception and Satisfaction with Immunization Services at Primary Healthcare Facilities in Calabar, South-South Nigeria. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, 2010; 298-301.
- Zipursky, Simona, et al. Benefits of using Vaccines Out of the Cold Chain: Delivering Meningitis A Vaccine in a Controlled Temperature Chain During the Mass Immunization Campaign in Benin. Vaccine, 2014; 32: 1431-1435.
- Moisi, Jennifer, et al. Spatial and Socio-Demographic Predictors of Time-to-Immunization in a Rural Area in Kenya: Is Equity Attainable? Vaccine, 2010; 28: 5725-5730.
- Butler, Robb, MacDonald, Noni, SAGE Working Group on Hesitancy. Diagnosing the Determinants of Vaccine Hesitancy in Specific Subgroups: The Guide to Tailoring Immunization Programmes (TIP). Vaccine, 2015.
- Pereira, Jennifer, et al. The Integration of Barcode Scanning Technology into Canadian Public Health Immunization Settings. Vaccine, 2014; 32: 2748-2755.
- Harvey, Hannah, Reissland, Nadja, Mason, James. Parenteral Reminder, Recall and Educational Interventions to Improve Early Childhood Immunization Uptake: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Vaccine, 2015; 33: 2862-2880.
- AlQuiliti, Khalid et al. Meningococcal Immunization Among Emergency Room Healthcare Workers in Almadinah Almunawwarah, Saudi Arabia. Journal of Taibah University Medical Sciences, 2015; 10(2): 175-180.
- Van Buynder, P.G. et al. Healthcare Worker Influenza Immunization vaccinate or Mask Policy: Strategies for Cist Effective Implementation and Subsequent Reductions in Staff Absenteeism Due to Illness. Vaccine, 2015; 33: 1625-1628.
- Hawkins, Bruce. Best Practices for Hospital and Health-System Pharmacy. (ASHP, USA: 2010) 281-286.
- Truong, Hoai-An, Bresette, James, Sellers, Jill. The Pharmacist in Public Health: Education, Applications, and Opportunities. (APhA, USA: 2010) 181-202.
- Li, Li, Yin, Hongzhang, n, Zhijie, Feng, Zijian. Considerations for Developing an Immunization Strategy with Enterovirus 71 Vaccine. Vaccine, 2015; 33: 1107-1112.
- Philippine Society for Microbiology and Infectious Diseases. Schedule for Adult Immunization 2015.
- Kanyuuru, Lynn. RED for PMTCT: An Adaptation of Immunization’s Reaching Every District Approach Increases Coverage, Access, and Utilization of PMTCT Care in Bondo District, Kenya. International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 2015; 130: S68-S73.
- Olpinski, Marian. Anti-Vaccination Movement and Parental Refusals of Immunization of Children in USA. PediatriaPolska, 2012; 87; 381-385.
- Jit, Mark, et al. Think Years of Vaccination in Vietnam: Impact and Cost-Effectiveness of the National Expanded Programme on Immunization. Vaccine, 2015; 33S: A233-A239.
- Verguet, Stephane, et al. Controlling Measles Using Supplemental Immunization Activities: A Mathematical Model to Inform Optimal Policy. Vaccine, 2015; 33: 1291-1296.
- Food and Drug Administration Philippines, FDA Advisory 2013-011: Ensuring Access of Filipino People to Safe, Affective, and Affordable Essential Medicines and the Pharmacy Law of the Philippines. 2013.