Sylvester Chibueze Izah, Langley Ayibawanaimi Orutugu and Lovet T. Kigigha. A Review of The Quality Assessment of Zobo Drink Consumed in Nigeria, ASIO Journal of Microbiology, Food Science & Biotechnological Innovations (ASIO-JMFSBI), 2015, 1(1): 34-43.
ARTICLE TYPE: REVIEW
dids/doi No.: 01.2016-97391785
dids link: http://dids.info/didslink/02.2016-84732333/
Food is essential resource needed for the maintenance and functioning of the various systems of the body. Foods are classified based on the readiness to consumption including fully, minimally processed and ready-to-eat food. Zobo is one of the ready-to-eat nutritional drinks consumed by several families in Nigeria irrespective of the socioeconomic status especially in the Northern region. This paper is a review of the quality of zobo drink consumed in Nigeria in relation to probable implications for consumer well being, safety and permissible limits. The study found that the zobo drink has several health benefits resulting from its proximate, mineral, phytochemical and vitamins compositions; its microbiological quality is however questionable. Though microbial density seldom exceeds tolerant limits for ready-to eat food. The presence of Coliforms depicts poor quality. The occurrence of some microbial isolates indicates a potential health concern to consumers of the products. Most of the isolates are spoilage microorganisms in dairy products but several of them invaded the product through poor handling and processing routes employed. Hence with improved handling, hygiene of processors and marketers and use of sterile water, spices, flavor the microbial diversity could be reduced.
Keywords: Contaminants, Health effects, Quality assessment, Spoilage microorganism, Zobo drink.
- S.C. Izah, E.R. Aseiba, L.A. Orutugu LA, Microbial quality of polythene packaged sliced fruits sold in major markets of Yenagoa Metropolis, Nigeria. Point Journal of Botany and Microbiology Research, 2015, 1(3), 30 – 36.
- U.S. Oranusi, W. Braide, A study of microbial safety of ready-to-eat foods vended on highways: Onitsha-Owerri, south east Nigeria. International Research Journal of Microbiology, 2012, 3(2), 066-071.
- A. Bukar, A. Uba, T.A. Oyeyi, Occurrence of some entropathogenic bacteria in some minimally and fully processed read –to-eat foods in Kano metropolis, Nigeria. African Journal of Food Science, 2010, 4(2), 32 – 36.
- S. Oranusi, O.J. Olorunfemi, Microbiological safety evaluation of street vended ready-to-eat fruits in Ota, Ogun state, Nigeria. International Journal of Research in Biological Sciences, 2011, 1(3): 27 – 32.
- C.O.C. Chukwu, I.D. Chukwu, I.A. Onyimba, E.G. Umoh, F. Olarubofin, A.O. Olabode, Microbiological quality of pre-cut fruits on sale in retail outlets in Nigeria. African Journal of Agricultural Research, 2010, 5(17), 2272-2275.
- A.A. Daniel, S. Danfulani, B.B. Barnabas, G. Peter, A.E. Ajewole, Microbiological quality of sliced fresh fruits sold in Bida, Nigeria. Global Journal of Biology, Agriculture and Health Science, 2014, 3(3), 178 – 180.
- E. Nwachukwu, E.F. Ezeama, B.N. Ezeanya BN, Microbiology of polyethylene-packaged sliced watermelon (Citrullus lanatus) sold by street vendors in Nigeria. African Journal of Microbiology Research, 2008, 2, 192-195.
- E. Nwachukwu, F.C. Ezejiaku, Microbial and physicochemical characteristics of locally produced pineapple juice treated with garlic and ginger. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences, 2014, 3(6), 895 – 901.
- T.O. Adedeji, I.B. Oluwalana, Physico-chemical, sensory and microbial analysis of wine produced from watermelon (citrullus lanatus and pawpaw (Carica papaya) blend. Food Science and Quality Management, 2013, 19, 41 – 50.
- N.N. Odu, A.O. Adeniji, Microbiological analysis of some packed fruit juices sold in Port Harcourt Metropolis, Nigeria. Nature and Science, 2013, 11(4), 30 –40.
- E. Nwachukwu, O.M. Onovo, C.F. Ezeama, Effect of lime juice on the bacterial quality of zobo drinks locally produced in Nigeria. Research Journal of Microbiology, 2007, 2, 787-791.
- S.B. Fasoyiro, O.A. Ashaye, A. Adeola, F.O. Samuel, Chemical and Storability of Fruit-Flavoured (Hibiscus sabdariffa) Drinks. World Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 2005, 1 (2), 165-168.
- S.O. Umeh, B.C. Okeke, J. Okpalla, G.C. Agu, Microbiological examination and Preservative methods of a local beverage drink (Zobo) sold in Anambra State, Nigeria. American International Journal of Contemporary Scientific Research, 2015; 2(9), 37 – 45.
- H. Padmaja, S. Sruthi, M. Vangalapti, Review on Hibiscus sabdariffa – A valuable herb. Int. J. Pharm. Life Sci., 2014, 5(8), 3747-3752.
- S.C. Izah, T.C.N. Angaye, E.I. Ohimain EI, Climate change: some meteorological indicators and perception of farmers in Yenagoa metropolis, Bayelsa state, Nigeria. International Journal of Geology, Agriculture and Environmental Sciences, 2015, 3(1), 56 – 60.
- S.C. Onuoha, K. Fatokun, Effect of Citrus aurantifolia juice on the shelf-life of Zobo drink produced locally in Afikpo, Ebonyi state, Nigeria. American Journal of Bioscience, 2014, 2(2), 45 -48.
- I.G. Adanlawo, V.A. Ajibade, Nutritive Value of the Two Varieties of Roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa) Calyces Soaked with Wood Ash. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition, 2006, 5 (6), 555-557.
- E.M. Ilondu, A.C. Iloh, Inhibition of Three Fungal Isolates from Sorrel Drink (Zobo) Using Hurdle Technique. World Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 2007, 3 (3), 339-343.
- I.A. Adesokan, O.P. Abiola, M.O. Adigun, O.A. Anifowose, Analysis of quality attributes of Hibiscus sabdariffa (Zobo) drinks blended with aqueous extract of ginger and garlic. African Journal of Food Science, 2013, 7(7), 174 – 177.
- B.C. Adebayo-Tayo, U.A. Samuel, Microbial quality and proximate composition of dried Hibiscus sabdariffa calyxes in Uyo, Eastern Nigeria. Malaysian Journal of Microbiology, 2009, 5(1),13-18.
- N.A. Amusa, O.A. Ashaye, A.A. Aiyegbayo, M.O. Oladapo, M.O. Oni, O.O. Afolabi OO, Microbiological and nutritional quality of hawked sorrel drinks (soborodo) (the Nigerian locally brewed soft drinks) widely consumed and notable drinks in Nigeria. Journal of Food, Agricuulture and Environment, 2005, 3(3and 4), 47 – 50.
- M.N. Alo, C. Anyim, C.J. Aneke, J.O. Orji, Bacteriological examination of locally produced beverage (Zobo) sold in Abakaliki, South-Eastern Nigeria. International Scientific Research Journal, 2012, 4(2), 58 – 64.
- J.A. Ayo, H. Umianze, T. Gaffa, Microbiological evaluation of Kunun zaki and Zoborodo drink (beverages) locally produced and sold in a polytechnic community in Nigeria. Nigerian Food Journal, 2004, 22(1), 119-126.
- W. Braide, S. Oranusi, A.L. Peter-Ikechukwu, Perspectives in the hurdle techniques in the preservation of a non alcoholic beverage, Zobo. African Journal of Food Science and Technology, 2012, 3(2), 46 – 52.
- O.E. Ezearigo, P.O. Adeniji, F. Ayoade, Screening of natural spices for improving microbiological, nutritional and organoleptic qualities of the Zobo drink. Journal of Applied Biosciences, 2014, 76, 6397– 6410.
- O.J. Egbere, J.C. Anuonye, P.F. Chollom, P.V. Okpara, Effects of some preservation techniques on the quality and storage stability of Zobo drink (a Nigerian, non alcoholic beverage from Hibiscus sabdariffa). Journal of Food Technology, 2007, 5(3), 225 – 228.
- O.R. Ezeigbo, S. Uhiara, J.A. Nwodu, M.U. Ekaiko, Bacteriological Assessment of Hawked Sorrel Drink (Zobo Drink) in Aba, South-East Nigeria. British Microbiology Research Journal, 2015, 5(2), 146-151.
- O.R. Ezeigbo, M.U. Ekaiko, N.G. Agomo, K. Ojukwu, A.I. Nnadozie, Antimicrobial Effect of Lime Juice Treatment on the Shelf-Life of Zobo Drink. British Microbiology Research Journal, 2015, 6(3), 147-153.
- R.O. Risiquat, Bacteriology Quality of Zobo Drinks Consumed in Some Parts of Osun State, Nigeria. J. Appl. Sci. Environ. Manage., 2013, 17(1), 113-117.
- E.I. Seiyaboh, I.Y. Oku, O.M. Odogbo, Bacteriological spoilage of Zobo (Anigerian Drink prepared from the cayces of Hibiscus sabdariffa L. (Malvaceae). The Interntional Journal of Engineering and Science, 2013, 2(11): 46 – 51.
- G.A. Umaru, I.S. Tukur, U.A. Akensire, Z. Adamu, O.A. Bello, A.H.B. Shawulu, M. Audu, Microflora of Kunun-Zakiand Sobodrinks in relation to public health in Jalingo Metropolis, North-Eastern Nigeria. International Journal of Food Research, 2014, 1, 16 – 21.
- C. Parkouda, B. Diawara, L.I.I. Ouoba, Technology and physico-chemical characteristics of Bikalga, alkaline fermented seeds of Hibiscus sabdariffa. African Journal of Biotechnology, 2008, 7 (7), 916-922.
- F. Tounkara, I. Amadou, G-W. Le, Y-H. Shi, Effect of boiling on the physicochemical properties of Roselle seeds (Hibiscus sabdariffa L.) cultivated in Mali. African Journal of Biotechnology, 2011, 10(79), 18160-18166.
- B. Daramola, O.A. Asunni, Nutrient composition and storage studies on Roselle extract enriched deep-fat-fried snack food. African Journal of Biotechnology, 2006, 5(19), 1803-1807.
- O.E. Nwafor, Growth inhibitions of three fungal isolates from Zobo drink using sorbic and benzoic acids. African Journal of Food Science and Technology, 2012, 3(3), 66-72.
- J. H. Zumbes, A.D. Dabo, D.A, Dakul, S.A. Afolabi, H.S. Dapiya, Enteropathogenic Bacterial Contamination of Some Ready to Eat Foods Sold in Jos Metropolis, Nigeria. Indian Journal of Applied Research, 2014, 4(7), 456 – 458.
- L. Anagu, E. Okolocha, M. Ikegbunam, M. Ugwu. Potential Spread of Pathogens by Consumption of Locally Produced Zobo and Soya Milk Drinks in Awka Metropolis, Nigeria. British Microbiology Research Journal, 2015, 5(5), 424-431.
- A.M. Omemu, M.O. Edema, A.O. Atayese, A.O. Obadina, A survey of the microflora of Hibiscus sabdariffa (Roselle) and the resulting “Zobo” juice. African Journal of Biotechnology, 2006, 5 (3), 254-259.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), Manuals of food quality control. FAO food and nutrition paper. United Natio, Rome, 1979.
- International Commission on Microbiological Specifications for Foods (ICMSF), Microorganisms in Foods 5: Microbiological Specifications of Pathogens, 1996.
- B.K. Olopade, S. Oranusi, R. Ajala, S.J. Olorunsola, Microbiological quality of fermented Cassava (Gari) sold in Ota Ogun State Nigeria. International Journal of Applied Microbiology and Applied Sciences, 2014, 3(3): 888-895.
- Food Quality Check Programme, Microbiological Recommendations, Food Laboratory, Environmental Microbiology BC Public Health Microbiology & Reference laboratory, 2011.10. Available: www.bccdc.ca/PHSALaboratories.
- S.C. Onuorah, C.A. Akudo, N.A. Okafor, I.E. Obika, U.C. Okafor, Bacteriological Quality of locally-produced Sorrel Beverage (Zobo) Vended in Awka Campus of Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka, Nigeria. International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, 2014, 5(7), 1542 – 1550.
- T.C. Odom, E.A. Udensi, E.C. Nwanekezi, Microbiological qualities of hawked retted cassava fufu in Aba metropolis of Abia state. Nigerian Food Journal, 2012, 30(1), 53 – 58.
- W. Akhigbemidu, A. Musa, O. Kuforji, Assessment of the microbial qualities of noodles and the accompanying seasonings. Nigerian Food Journal, 2015, 33, 48 – 53.
- P. Wong, Y.H.M. Salmah, Y.B. Cheman, Physico-chemical characteristics of roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa). J. Nutr. Food Sci. 2002, 32, 68-73.
- S.O. Babalola, A.O. Babalola, O.C. Aworh, Compositional attributes of the calyces of roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa L). African Journal of Food Technology, 2001, 6(4), 133-134.
- S. Cid-Ortega, J.A. Guerrero-Beltrá, Roselle Calyces Particle Size Effect on the Physicochemical and Phytochemicals Characteristics. Journal of Food Research, 2014, 3(5), 83 – 94.
- A.O. Ameh, M.T. Isa, A.S. Ahmed, S.B. Adamu, Studies on the use of trona in improving the taste of the extract from Hibiscus sabdariffa calyx. Nigerian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2009, 8 (1), 7 – 12.
- L.A. Orutugu, S.C. Izah, E.R. Aseibai, Microbiological quality of Kunu drink sold in some major markets of Yenagoa Metropolis, Nigeria. Continental Journal of Biomedical Science, 2015, 9(1), 9 – 16.
- P.C.B. Turnbull, Bacillus. In: Medical Medical Microbiology. Fourth Edition; 1996 [cited 2015 March 26]. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK7699/.
- M.E. Levison, Streptococcus infections. The merck manual. Home edition. 2008 [cited 2015 March 26]. http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/infections/bacterial_infections/streptococcal_infections.html.
- N.N. Odu, L.N. Imaku, Assessment of the Microbiological Quality of Street-vended Ready-To-Eat Bole (roasted plantain) Fish (Trachurus trachurus) in Port Harcourt Metropolis, Nigeria. Researcher, 2013, 5(3), 9-18.
- E.R. Ineyougha, L.A. Orutugu, S.C. Izah, Assessment of Microbial Quality of Smoked Trachurus trachurus sold in some Markets of Three South-South States of Nigeria. International Journal of Food Research, 2015, 2, 16 – 23.
- L.M. Bush, M.T. Perez, Pseudomonas and Related Infections. The merck manual, Professional Edition, 2014 [cited 2015 March 26]. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/infectious_diseases/gram-negative_ bacilli/pseudomonas_and_related_infections.html.
- C. Pratiwi, W.P. Rahayu, H.N. Lioe, D. Herawati, W. Broto, S. Ambarwati, The effect of temperature and relative humidity for Aspergillus flavus BIO 2237 growth and aflatoxin production on soybeans. International Food Research Journal, 2015, 22(1), 82-87.
- O. Akande, O. Kuforji, Health impact of microorganisms found in the air in a private University. Journal of Science Engineering and Technology, 2013, 20(1), 11336- 11347.
- M. Hashem, Isolation of Mycotoxin-producing Fungi from Fishes Growing in Aquacultures. Research Journal of Microbiology, 2011, 6, 862-872.
- R.C. Dubey, D.K. Maheshwari, A textbook of Microbiology. 2013 Revised edition. (S. Chad and Company LTD. Ram Nagar, New Delhi, 2013).
- C.P. Wild, Y.Y. Gong, Mycotoxins and human disease: a largely ignored global health issue. Carcinogenesis, 2010, 31, 71-82.
- A.A. Akinyemi, A.Q. Adejola, S.O. Obasa, G.N.O. Ezeri, Aflatoxins in Smoked?dried Fish sold in Abeokuta, Ogun State, South?west Nigeria. Proceedings of the Environmental Management Conference, Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria, 2011. pp. 478 – 487.
- A. Herrera-Arellano, J. Miranda-Sánchez, P. Avila-Castro, Clinical effects produced by a standardized herbal medicinal product of Hibiscus sabdariffa on patients with hypertension. A randomized, double-blind, lisinopril-controlled clinical trial. Planta Medica, 2007, 73(1), 6-12.
- A.L. Hopkins, M.G. Lamm, J. Funk, C. Ritenbaugh, Hibiscus sabdariffa L. in the treatment of hypertension and hyperlipidemia: a comprehensive review of animal and human studies. Fitoterapia, 2013, 85, 84–94.
- R. Kuriyan, D.R. Kumar, R. Rajendran, A, V. Kurpad, An evaluation of the hypolipidemic effect of Hibiscus sabdariffa leaves in hyperlipidemic Indians. A doubleblind placebo controlled trial. J. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2010, 10:27. Doi: 10.1186/1472-6882-10-27.
- H.H. Lin, J.H. Chen, C.J. Wang, Chemopreventive properties and molecular mechanisms of the bioactive compound in Hibiscus sabdariffa Linn. J. Current Medicinal Chemistry, 2011, 18(8), 1245-1254.
- S. Josiah, O. Omotuyi, K. Oluyemi, I. Ezea, E. Uhunmwangho, S. Nwangwu, O. Oyesola, H. Njoya, Protective role of aqueous extract of Hibiscus sabdariffa (calyx) against potassium bromate induced tissue damage in Wistar rats. African Journal of Biotechnology, 2010, 9(21), 3218-3222.
- P-J.Tsai, J. McIntosh, P. Pearce, B. Camden, B.R. Jordan, Anthocyanin and antioxidant capacity in Roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa L.) extract. Food Research International, 2002, 35, 351-356.
- J. M. Sini, I. A. Umar, H. M. Inuwa, The beneficial effect of extract of Hibiscus sabdariffa calyces in alloxan-diabetic rats: hypoglycaemic and hypolipidaemic activities. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, 2011; 5(11), 2182-2186.
- P.T. Lieu, M. Heiskala, P.A. Peterson, Y. Yang, The roles of iron in health and disease. Mol Aspects Med, 2002, 22(1-2), 1-87.
- N. Abbaspour, R. Hurrel, R. Kelishadi, Review on iron and its importance for human health. Journal of Research in Medical Sciences, 2014, 19(2), 164–174.
- Organic Facts, Health benefits of iron. 2015 [cited 2015 December 08]. https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/minerals/health-benefits-of-iron.html. Accessed December 08th, 2015.
- No initials. Mercola, Is Vitamin C as Good as Exercise for Your Heart? 2015 [cited 2015 December 08]. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/09/21/vitamin-c-heart-health.aspx.
- J. Goepp, Newly Discovered Health Benefits of Vitamin C, 2008 [cited 2015 December 08]. http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2008/4/Newly-Discovered-Benefits-Of-Vitamin-C/Page-01.
- Organic Fact, Health Benefits of Vitamin C or Ascorbic Acid. 2015 m [cited 2015 December 08]. https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/vitamins/health-benefits-of-vitamin-c-or-ascorbic-acid.html.
- M. Elson, M.D. Haas, Role of Potassium in Maintaining Health. Periodic paralysis International. 2011. http://hkpp.org/patients/potassium-health. Accessed December 08th, 2015.
- H. Karppanen, P. Karppanen, E. Mervaala, Why and how to implement sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium changes in food items and diets? Journal of Human Hypertension, 2005, 19, S10–S19.